New York, NY, August 15, 2016 – Davis & Gilbert is pleased to announce that 10 of the firm’s partners have been recognized in the 2017 edition of The Best Lawyers in America, the oldest and most venerable peer-review publication in the legal profession. Partners from the firm’s Advertising, Marketing & Promotions, Labor & Employment, Litigation and Real Estate practices were listed, and Joseph J. Lewczak was additionally named the 2017 Media Law “Lawyer of the Year” in New York City. Half of the ranked partners have been recognized by Best Lawyers for over five years, with the rest being recognized for four or five consecutive years.
- Ronald R. Urbach, Chairman/Practice Group Co-Chair, was recognized for the eighth consecutive year. Mr. Urbach’s practice covers all aspects of advertising, including regulatory advice and defense, transactional drafting, review of advertising materials, analysis of marketing programs, and the application of intellectual property laws and rights of privacy and publicity. A particular focus of his practice involves appearing before the Federal Trade Commission, state attorneys general, and other federal, state and local agencies that have jurisdiction over advertising, marketing and promotions, and he has handled many of the most critical advertising and marketing practice cases in recent years. He also regularly handles cases before the National Advertising Division.
- Joseph J. Lewczak was recognized for the seventh consecutive year, listed in both the Advertising Law and Media Law categories, and was named the 2017 Media Law “Lawyer of the Year” in New York City. Mr. Lewczak has extensive experience in all areas relating to advertising, marketing, promotions and intellectual property. He has extensive experience with sweepstakes and lotteries, including games of chance, complex skill contests and other types of offers. Mr. Lewczak also routinely handles matters involving mobile marketing, social media, telemarketing, and charitable solicitations, and he is frequently called upon to negotiate complex talent, license, production, master service and other types of agreements.
- Gerald B. Schwartz was recognized for the fifth consecutive year. Mr. Schwartz is regularly involved in the review and negotiation of contracts between advertising agencies and their clients, as well as all forms of advertising, dealing with issues such as claim substantiation, false advertising, demonstrations, guarantees, testimonials and copyright and trademark matters, and New York State sales tax issues. In addition, Mr. Schwartz frequently drafts and negotiates celebrity talent contracts along with various other forms of contracts.
- Howard R. Weingrad was recognized for the seventh consecutive year. Mr. Weingrad regularly counsels clients on music, copyright, rights of privacy and publicity, and talent issues, as well as matters involving broadcast and digital advertising production and social media advertising. He is one of the country’s leading attorneys in matters involving the complex provisions and implications of the Screen Actors Guild, the American Federation of Television and Radio Artists, the American Federation of Musicians, and other advertising and entertainment industry collective bargaining agreements.
- Gregg A. Gilman, Practice Group Co-Chair, was recognized for the sixth consecutive year. Mr. Gilman advises employers on all workplace-related matters, including wage and hour issues, preventive management, terminations, reductions in force, disciplinary measures, restrictive covenants, executive compensation, harassment investigations and employment policies. Mr. Gilman also represents employers in mediation, arbitration, state and federal courts and before the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and state and local employment-rights agencies.
- Howard J. Rubin, Practice Group Co-Chair, was recognized for the fifth consecutive year and was listed in both the Employment Law – Management and Litigation – Labor and Employment categories. Mr. Rubin counsels an extensive range of employers on all aspects of employment law including employment policies and practices, discrimination, restrictive covenants, fair labor standards and affirmative action plans. He has also litigated numerous employment related disputes in state and federal courts and in arbitrations through FINRA and the AAA.
- Michael C. Lasky, Practice Group Co-Chair, was recognized for the fifth consecutive year in the category Litigation – Labor and Employment. Mr. Lasky has litigated complex commercial and employment cases in a number of industries, including in particular marketing communications, financial services and transportation. He has litigated through trial and appeal some of the leading trade secrets, fiduciary duty and restrictive covenant cases in New York. He is also a well-known authority on the use and enforceability of various post-employment restrictions on competition and the movement of talent between competitive organizations.
- Mark E. Maltz, Practice Group Co-Chair, was recognized for the fifth consecutive year. Mr. Maltz represents prominent real estate owners and Fortune 500 companies in all types of complex commercial real estate transactions across the United States, including financings, dispositions, acquisitions and commercial leases. A large portion of Mr. Maltz’s work is devoted to representing building owners and tenants in their office and retail leasing needs, and he consistently handles anchor tenant-type leasing transactions in first-class office buildings. He is also recognized for his work in handling switch facility and data center lease transactions and communications licenses on behalf of both owners and telecommunications companies.
- Robert A. Karin was recognized for the fourth consecutive year. He has over 30 years of experience representing a wide variety of businesses in the buying, selling, developing, leasing and financing of real property throughout the United States. Mr. Karin’s clients include several major banks and asset-based lenders, national retailers, regional developers and landlords of office, commercial, loft, mixed-use and hotel properties. A substantial portion of his practice is devoted to retail leasing, where he is often hired to assist national retailers in their entry and rollout in the New York market.
- Gerald R. Uram, former Practice Group Chair, was recognized for the seventh consecutive year. Mr. Uram has over 40 years of experience representing businesses in the buying, selling and leasing of property throughout the United States. He has handled headquarters leases for a great deal of nationally recognized companies across multiple industry sectors and has represented both landlords and tenants in some of the largest leasing transactions in New York City. He has also acted as an expert witness in several cases.
About Davis & Gilbert
Davis & Gilbert LLP is a strategically focused, full-service mid-sized law firm. Founded over a century ago and headquartered in New York City, the firm represents a wide array of clients – from advertising and marketing agencies of all types and sizes, and major brands and advertisers of products and services to media, technology, financial services and real estate companies, private individuals and nonprofits. Widely regarded as the #1 law firm for the marketing communications industry, Davis & Gilbert has practice groups in Advertising, Marketing & Promotions; Benefits & Compensation; Corporate; Digital Media, Technology & Privacy; Entertainment, Media & Sports; Insolvency, Creditors’ Rights & Financial Products; Intellectual Property; Labor & Employment; Litigation; Private Client Services; Real Estate; and Taxation. The firm’s high rankings in publications and legal directories such as Chambers USA, The Legal 500 United States and Best Law Firms, as well as its consistent recognition in The BTI Consulting Group’s “Client Service A-Team” (2012-2016) and on The National Law Journal’s Midsize Hot List (2012-2014), indicate its dedication to solving complex legal issues for clients from start-ups to some of the world’s largest public companies as their businesses evolve.
For more information, please contact:
Dawn Gertz Longfield
Chief Marketing Officer