New York, June 12, 2012 – Davis & Gilbert’s Advertising, Marketing & Promotions and Real Estate practice groups once again received prominent recognition in this year’s edition of Chambers USA, the country’s leading guide to the legal profession. In addition, nine Davis & Gilbert attorneys were identified as leaders in four diverse categories: Advertising, Labor & Employment, Media & Entertainment and Real Estate.
Davis & Gilbert earned a Band 1 ranking in the nationwide category Advertising: Transactional & Regulatory for the seventh consecutive year, making it the only firm to maintain a consistent top-tier position in this category since 2006. The guide writes that the firm “provides top-drawer counsel on the gamut of advertising law matters,” while “clients are particularly quick to commend its depth of knowledge in the digital space.” The editorial also lauds the firm’s “impressive roster of clients,” which range from leading brands and entertainment businesses to major marketing and advertising agencies. With considerable positive feedback from clients and peers, the firm was also recommended in the Client Service and Commercial Awareness categories for the second year. Sources characterized the group’s lawyers as “extremely responsive, thoughtful and timely with their work,” and praised the group’s in-depth industry knowledge, remarking: “They understand what is valuable to us, they don’t just give the blanket answer.”
In addition to the firm recognition, four partners were ranked individually for the Advertising category:
- Ronald Urbach maintained his longstanding ranking in the “Star Individual” category, and was described as having an “outstanding reputation for his broad-based advertising practice.” According to the guide, “sources applaud him as one of the most excellent lawyers in the advertising bar, noting that he is ‘savvy, creative, smart and clear.’”
- Joseph Lewczak, ranked in Band 2, was commended for his work on behalf of advertising agencies. “[He] has a broad knowledge base and is very practical in his approach to dealing with issues,” sources observe.
- Richard Eisert, moving up to a Band 2 ranking, was described as “extremely intelligent and efficient.” Clients also expressed approval of his “strong grasp of technology and ability to navigate the digital landscape.”
- Howard Weingrad, who was identified by clients as “the go-to guy on Screen Actors Guild issues,” earned a Band 3 ranking. His expertise handling talent, privacy and union matters was mentioned.
For the sixth consecutive year, Davis & Gilbert’s Real Estate practice group garnered a Band 3 ranking in the New York category Real Estate: Mainly Dirt. The firm’s leasing work for many of Manhattan’s most well-known buildings was highlighted. Sources also applauded the quality of the group’s attorneys, commenting: “They have good judgment and a reputation for being easy to deal with. They’re deal-makers not deal-breakers.”
- Gerald Uram, “described as a dean of the real estate bar,” received a Band 2 ranking and comes “widely recommended for his leasing expertise.” Sources complimented his “tremendous amount of experience and excellent problem-solving skills,” and one client described him as “very precise and a good negotiator yet very practical.”
Labor & Employment
As a testament to Davis & Gilbert’s strength in both employment counseling and litigation, three of the firm’s Labor & Employment attorneys were ranked for the first time in the New York Labor & Employment category:
- Howard Rubin, ranked in Band 4, was distinguished for his “substantial experience of defending employers in alleged discrimination cases.” He is praised by clients as an “excellent, strategic litigator who is dedicated to finding solutions.”
- Gregg Brochin was recognized as an Up and Coming lawyer, and, according to sources, “comes recommended for his ‘extensive technical knowledge of the laws and regulations.’”
- Jessica Golden Cortes, also recognized as an Up and Coming lawyer, was noted for her work on high-profile cases. She “draws praise from clients for her ability in tricky negotiations,” according to interviewees.
Media & Entertainment
Davis & Gilbert entertainment partner James Johnston was recognized for the first time in the New York category Media & Entertainment: Film & Television, evidencing the firm’s preeminence in the marketing, entertainment and technology sphere. Mr. Johnston was “commended for being a ‘fantastic communicator who works tirelessly to conclude deals in a timely manner,’” and sources pointed to his “understanding of the complexities of new media in relation to old media.”
Chambers is a highly-regarded and independent publication that conducts law firm rankings nationwide, and whose in-depth research is based both on objective data and client confidential interviews. The USA guide, published since 1999, identifies the most skilled legal practitioners throughout the country based on the qualities most valued by clients.
About Davis & Gilbert LLP
Davis & Gilbert LLP is a strategically focused, full-service law firm of more than 110 lawyers. Founded over a century ago and located in a single office in New York City, the firm represents a wide array of clients - ranging from small, independent start-ups to some of the world’s largest public companies - throughout the United States and internationally. Davis & Gilbert is widely regarded as the #1 law firm for the marketing communications industry and also has specialty practices focusing on middle market M&A, financial services, intellectual property, litigation, labor & employment, office & retail leasing and private client services.
For additional information, please contact:
Dawn M. Gertz
Chief Marketing Officer